Enforcement Department

Please call 911 in an emergency!

Ordinance Enforcement Department Responsibilities

The Ordinance Enforcement Department is responsible for enforcing all Ordinances of Holton Township including: Investigating Oridinance Violations and serving notice of such Violations; Serving Appearance Tickets and appearing in court to aid in prosecuting Violations; Preparing written reports of Enforcement activity for the Township Board; Performing any other Enforcing duties delegated by the Township Supervisor or assigned by the Township Attorney. The Ordinance Enforcement Department deals with a variety of issues but is primarily focused upon blight issues in an effort to keep Holton Township a clean and healthy place to live.

The Ordinance Enforcement Officer is not Authorized to deal with Traffic Violations or Criminal Activities such as Trespassing, Illegal Dumping, or Domestic Issues. Please contact The Muskegon County Sheriffs Department or dial 911 for these complaints. Thank you.

Ordinance Enforcer

Enforcement Department Frequently Asked Questions


1. How do I file a complaint on an Ordinance violation and do I have to give out my name or any other personal information?

ANS: Fill out a complaint form at the Holton Township Hall or download the form below and send it to Holton Township, P.O. Box 328, Holton, MI  49425. You do not have to leave your name. Ordinance violations only. If you want to report a crime call the police or dial 911.


2. My neighbor’s dog is frequently in my yard or running around the rest of the neighborhood, and it seems to be barking all the time when it is confined to its own property. What can I do about it?

ANS: Call Vector Control @ (231) 724-6007

3. What is considered to be blight?

ANS: Blight can be anything from old tires lying around, to broken out windows in a home, to rubbish that has sat out for pick-up too long.

4. My fence is on my neighbor’s property. Can they remove it without my permission?

ANS: This is considered a property line dispute and is a private civil matter. The Township cannot get involved in private civil matters. You will need to contact a lawyer.

5. What if I see someone illegally dumping, driving dangerously or committing a crime.

ANS: Call 911

6. What about wetlands issues? How do I file a complaint on a wetland violation?

ANS: Wetlands are regulated by the Department of Environmental Quality. Go to: www.michigan.gov/deq or call the Department of Environmental Quality Assistance Center 1-800-662-9278.

7. I want to build or replace a seawall and make a sandy beach area for swimming. Do I need a permit?

ANS: Yes, but these permits are pulled through the Department of Environmental Quality. You can download their permit application at www.michigan.gov/deq or contact our office for a copy of an application.

Upcoming Events

  • No upcoming events
AEC v1.0.4